Hey everyone! This week’s theme is Transformation.
When I saw this prompt, I wasn’t sure what to do. The no make to makeup transformation? Can’t say that I really want to share my bare face with you guys. lol.
However, when I got home I caught a glance of my high school graduation portrait. In the last 7 years, I have come a really long way in terms of makeup, so let’s talk about that!
Me in 2010
You know, I can pretty much exactly remember what I wore back then.
- Primer was definitely not on my radar back then. I only used drugstore products and primers didn’t really exist in the drugstore back then.
- I would have worn the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB cream in Light-Medium, with some sort of drugstore concealer (I think I bought whatever was on sale indiscriminately back then). Probably Covergirl though. I really liked Covergirl in high school. In high school, I really didn’t have acne or skin problems, so a BB cream worked fine. How is it that in high school I didn’t have acne, but now I have acne up the yin yang!?
- I then would have used the Covergirl Clean Pressed Powder (the brown one that was for normal skin, although I always wanted, but could never find, the blue oil control one).
- I also used a coral Covergirl Trueblend Microminerals loose blush back then that lasted me forever. I actually got this product free because I was sent an unlimited coupon by Covergirl to purchase any one item, because I wrote them a complaint letter about who knows what LOL. So when I got the coupon I literally just bought the most expensive thing I could find, and it was that blush! Man, how do I remember this lol.
- Back then I didn’t use any bronzer or contour, and highlighter didn’t exist yet. I actually really didn’t know/care about bronzer until a year ago… How?! You know I pack it on now 😉 And I just started contouring at the beginning of this year.
- For my eyes I always did liquid liner on my lid and a black pencil liner on my waterline. My liquid liner was usually black but sometimes I used a blue liner (fun lol). You know, I really thought that I had worn winged liner in high school, but I actually haven’t found any picture evidence of this yet. Not sure when I started winging it out, but now I really don’t put on makeup without a wing. My eyes look so small without it.
- I was probably using AVON/Mark eye products still at this point. I actually sold AVON (partially because it is my name spelled backwards, so why not lol) for probably 5 years as a hobby and to make a bit of money on the side of course. And I got a discount for buying products, so a lot of my eye products were AVON/Mark.
- I had my first big splurge with eyeshadow at MAC in grade 12. I spent around $200 I think on different eyeshadow pans and brushes. So I did get more into eyeshadow that year, but I don’t think that I wore it to school much. Even though I didn’t wear it a lot back then, I was also always buying those eyeshadow quads from the drugstore that were supposed to be for specific eye colours. Those were so common back then.
- I definitely didn’t use brow products in high school, and I didn’t start until maybe 2 years ago. Since then I have been a hard core pomade user. Really, my brows are pretty dark so I don’t totally need to fill them in. But I do like the more intense brow look, so I like filling in the front where they are a bit more sparse.
My brows are still the same shape as they were in high school though! I think I did my first major plucking and reshaping probably in grade 9 or 10, and I have maintained them the same way since then. I have never had my eyebrows done professionally; I have always done them myself. I am still very happy with the shape of my brows and I think they suit my face. Although, the occasional instagram troll gives me a hard time about them. Guess what, I don’t care!
- My go to mascara for years (and I have gone back to it now) was the Covergirl Clump Crusher. I’m not sure if this was out yet in 2010, but if I wasn’t using Clump Crusher, it was some other Covergirl mascara that had a rubber/silicone wand. Or it could have potentially been a AVON/Mark one.
- The only lip products I used in high school, and up until a year ago were really lip balms and clear/slightly pink lip glosses. I’m not really sure why I didn’t wear coloured lip products, but I didn’t. Now my lips look so pale without something more than a balm!
It’s funny. Looking at the 2010 picture below, my face hasn’t changed a lot, but I am left wondering, where are my eyelids?? Like, I don’t even understand what has happened. But you can now see my eyelids when I take pictures. It’s almost as if my eyes have become less hooded?? Were they hooded back then? Does facial structure change like that? I’m not sure. Anyways, this difference might be because I have learned to really raise my eyebrows when taking pictures. I also have the habit of raising one more than the other without noticing it sometimes. This is why in some recent photos you may think my eyebrows are uneven, but really one is just raised more than the other because I can’t help myself lol.
My eyes also look more expressive in photos now. In that grad photo it looks like I am either A.) dead inside or B.) staring at the photographer being like “Take the F@#$ING picture already!!”
I have also stopped smiling for pictures with my mouth open (most of the time), so this makes my face look a little bit longer and a little less square. And there is less danger of the double chin making an appearance.
Last difference that I can notice is that my hair is like 3X longer. My last year of high school was when I was really trying to grow it out to be long. Well, I have succeeded! This was also the year where I started straightening it. Because I was growing it out and it was getting longer, all of a sudden my hair started getting ugly wavy and frizzy which never happened when it was shorter, so a straightener was a must! You should see my class photo from this same year where I didn’t straighten my hair. It was terrible lol. I also didn’t have bangs back then, so my five-head was pretty noticeable lol.
Me in 2017
I really don’t need to go on about what I wear these days. If you have seen any of my posts that includes a full face photo (Monthly Look Books, some of these Photo Challenges), I will likely have included what makeup I am wearing in that shot.
The take home of the story now is that I do every single extra makeup step there is, except for false lashes. Primer, foundation, concealer, powder, contour, 2 types of bronzer, blush, highlighter, eyeshadow primer, eyeshadow, inner corner highlight, winged liquid liner, black pencil eyeliner on the waterline, mascara, brow pomade, brow gel, lipsitck/lipgloss. I do it all now. And a lot of the products that I now use are medium to high end like Urban Decay, Too Faced, ABH, Tarte etc. The only products that I use from the drugstore (and I refuse to use the high-end counterparts of these makeup items) are foundation (Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless), loose powder (Maybelline Fit me is an awesome dupe for Laura Mercier), eyeliner pencils and mascara. I have not yet found a high-end foundation that is my holy grail, and I have tried at least 5 (maybe that’s not a lot, but it’s a lot of trouble for my skin and my dignity, trying each and every one of those and not having it look good). They all are just not bullet-proof enough for me. I also feel like eyeliner pencils and mascara are great from the drugstore, and that the high end prices are just not worth it for those specific products.
Well, I hope you enjoyed this chat about my makeup past. Did you used to use any of the products I discussed? What have you changed dramatically in your routine?